Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Harvey

Harvey - a cat of many identities, but all of them with a strangely similar theme: The Velvet One. El Jefe. His Reverence. The Colonel.

*  *  *
     A small black velvet cat whose delight for the finer things in life added a certain gravitas...a particular weight to his presence. A climber, an adventurer, a tyrant and a hero - a demanding boy whose will must ever be obeyed by his minions...his humans...

     His apparent arrogance always belied a gentler nature. Face rubs and cuddles always the order of the day from kittenhood, he liked nothing more that snuggling in a heap of wubby blankies on the best chair in the house. He learned at a very young age that car travel was nothing but an adventure and, uncomplaining, he would accompany me to the vet without a carrier and sit patiently waiting for his appointment, confident that his handsome looks and "come hither" gaze would garner nought but the most devoted attention from all present. It never failed.

     He climbed the highest trees, a true daredevil in his younger years, regularly seen at full gallop hurtling along the topmost branches, leaping from oak to pine to ash like the most skilled 'Cirque Du Soleil' acrobat.

     His temperamental sister, Sabrina (the teenage witch and named character counterpart) and his adopted brother, Victor Scorpius Galactus Von Doom, off to Aslan's Country, Harvey became an only child, never leaving my side...eternally there, calm, kind, patient, soft and loving. He stayed faithful through every life event, wriggling from tickles as I laughed with him, purring softly when I buried my face in his gossamer fur and cried. He stood guardian and confidant to my mum during her cancer treatment and shone his light to guide me through the darkness that followed.

     He didn't once complain when he lost his huge garden....his trees....his peace, to move to a small space far from the countryside he loved. His eye for decor was perfection so he brought his sunshine with him. He was calm when I had chaos in my soul. He was gentle when I had a storm in my heart. He was constant when my mind was all at sea. He was my beacon, my anchor and my joy.

     His adventurous heart led him to his new baby brother, Leonard, hidden in the bramble bushes and his courage taught the timid boy to trust and be brave.

     He faced illnesses and hardship with stoicism and fortitude. He had nine glorious lives and he made the most of all of them.

     Harvey walked into the light across the rainbow bridge and on to Aslan's Country last night. Leonard had held him close and touched nose to his nose before we took him on his final journey, He took his last kiss of air with a sigh that tore my soul. His grace and loyalty stole me back from the precipice so many times, and kept me sure footed on a path that led us all to our new home, to his Daddy, who he loved with every fibre of his honest being. He had a garden again...trees... brothers and sisters....a real home. Here he will forever live in our hearts and memories. I am sure that we will hear the demand for a fine, robust cognac and delicate cream fancies whispered on the wind and an urge to rub fluffy ears will lead us to pass on his love to all the fur babies who remain. He will be immortal, eternal, and the forever embodiment of my hope and happiness.

     Goodbye my little Love xxx




2 comments:

  1. My gorgeous wife. Your art is a awesome tribute to our velvet boy. He will be forever immortal in your work. Love you X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my Love 💖 I promise I will keep all our babies alive in our memories forever xxx I love you gorgeous Man 💕

      Delete

What's on your mind?

You might like a look at this as well ...

Around and Back Again

    Well. Hello!  And where the good goosedown have I been then, eh? Eh? Valid question, yes. Well, much in solidarity with PRETTY much ever...

More Ramblings...