Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Bright Bird

I'm continuing my portfolio of winter themed pieces featuring British wildlife and flora. This is my latest baby:



     His name is "Bright Bird".

     I love robins....they visit our garden all the time (whilst wisely avoiding eager feline attention) and the flash of stunning vivid red against the dark, bare branches of winter trees and hedgerows is startlingly magical every time they appear.

     I wanted to play with that image - the brightness against the monochrome - but also pay homage to the richness that nature's evergreens give to our world. Even in the darkest, bleakest and coldest months the promise of hope, renewal and rebirth is there before us every day. I chose to highlight the flora whilst leaving the bird in its original black and white, so that it still stands out, but his beauty is enhanced by the flowers and leaves that surround him.

     Adding colour is always a double-edged sword when I've spent three days working through the intricate ink designs and it's something of a leap of faith on each occasion.



     I'm hesitant and nervous with each drawing, but I think it's worth it. I have to very carefully rework the fine ink lines sometimes, where the paint has blurred or covered them - even watercolours. I used Winsor and Newton paints on this piece with some mica powders to bring a little life and texture. After staring at it for half an hour I also added some spirals with a white gel pen to reflect the frosty cold of this time of year.

     Illustrating wildlife and nature is so important to me. I love to celebrate the diversity and beauty in every way I can and these ink drawings are always a labour of love. As with all my work, they are intuitive. I decide on a vague theme (i.e. "winter"), choose an animal, then elements which will complement that choice. In this case it was winter flora, and the bell and ribbon as a nod to the festive element of the season. In other cases - larger pieces, or marine illustrations usually - other animals or even landscapes and landmarks will feature, as well as quotations or other literary text.

     I work from reference for a lot of my detail - especially plants and flowers (or insects!...complex critters) and generally combine source materials to develop an original angle, shape or pose. My laptop is filled with thousands of images which allow me to form these fresh composites. I admit that I relish the research almost as much as the art!


     This "Winter Berry Bunny" didn't require any research for his detail as these plants and berries I have drawn so many times that they are instinctual. His patterns and swirls also just "happened".... the intuitive brain chose them for an earlier companion piece so I have adopted them as part of the theme. I used two reference photos (one of my own and one from copyright-free stock) to composite this little silhouette. This is the only winter bunny I have left - his companions were released to the world before Christmas arrived, so he's currently mine to do with as I please. I have yet to offer him for sale as I am considering adding colour.....somewhere.....somehow.......Let me know your thoughts?

*  *  *  *  *

     Nature is wild, extreme, unpredictable and ferocious. Fires, floods, bitter cold and hurricanes may devastate, but if we support our planet, help our environment to thrive, nature can also heal, repair, regrow and sustain. We've just passed Yule, a time when we bring in the evergreens of nature, the colour of our world and the light of the sun captured in the flame of a simple candle or even the twinkling lights on a tree. The practise is as old as the birth of our awareness... we've followed these simple traditions each in our own way for countless generations as our species evolved. Our simplest expression of hope and determination to overcome must still sustain humanity as we reach to a future where this earth's well being - and that of every living thing upon it - rests on our shoulders... the choices and efforts we make.

     To create is a wonderful thing. To paint, draw, sculpt or sew... to twist and twine, build and mould, sing and dance.... these things add to a beautiful flow that reflects the power of nature's creation and adds to the energies which will guide us on a bright and positive journey. What we believe, who we worship is largely irrelevant... The feelings and the hope, the soul and the heart, reach far beyond mere words and icons to the very core of who we are as human beings. Our power lies in our OWN creation: how we choose to forge our path, taking the best - and the worst - of who we are and choosing to weave our complexity into nature's dance, finding ways to work through the damage and the destruction that is within each one of us, to follow the golden threads, untangle knots, add our glorious individuality and diversity to the design that is the cloth of life that covers this world.

May our patterns be as bold and bright as the little robin in winter, and as full of promise as the berries on the frost-bitten branch.


Much love to all of you and yours this new year and brand new decade xxx


2 comments:

What's on your mind?

You might like a look at this as well ...

Around and Back Again

    Well. Hello!  And where the good goosedown have I been then, eh? Eh? Valid question, yes. Well, much in solidarity with PRETTY much ever...

More Ramblings...